The Oral-Systemic Connection
At the office of your expert dentist in Redmond, WA, Dr. Karen McNeill, we believe that your health and well-being deserve at least as much attention as the appearance of your smile. So while we do provide cosmetic dental services to enhance the beauty of your teeth, we also focus on preventive and restorative dentistry to advance your oral health.
In recent years, research has continued to unveil the many ways in which oral health relates to systemic or whole-body health. Periodontal disease has been linked to cardiovascular disease, stroke, and preterm birth. Diabetes and other inflammatory disease have also been tied to periodontitis. With this in mind, the entire team at the office of your dentist in Redmond, WA, Dr. McNeill want to emphasize the importance of excellent preventive dental care. After all, taking great care of your teeth and gums could potentially add years to your life!
Some of the basic steps that each individual can take to promote their own oral health include:
- Brush your teeth twice daily, for two minutes using a soft-bristled tooth brush.
- Floss every day! There is a correct way, and incorrect way to do it. For pointers on proper flossing technique, we invite you to consult the highly trained hygiene staff of your friendly dentist in Redmond, WA, Dr. McNeill.
- Eat right! A diet that is low in sugary, starchy foods and beverages promotes oral health.
- Avoid tooth-harming habits. Grinding and clenching, biting fingernails or ice, and using your teeth as tools can harm tooth enamel.
- Maintain a regular schedule of teeth cleanings and oral screenings at the office of your friendly dentist in Redmond, WA.
Why not make the resolve to strive for optimal oral health starting today? A great first step would be to contact our office and reserve your appointment for a teeth cleaning and oral checkup. We can’t wait to hear from you!